A GPC England report, ‘Saving General Practice’ has been published this month. It focuses on the following key areas that must be addressed to turn around the current crisis facing general practice.
- Recurrent and sustainable funding and resources to secure a minimum spend of 11% of the total NHS budget invested in general practice; a funding deficit that is currently estimated at £3.7bn
- A workforce strategy that is recurrently funded to enable an of a collaborative multi-disciplinary general practice and community workforce working both in practices and within localities
- A sustainable, long-term indemnity package for general practice that covers all GPs on the national performers list and all staff providing NHS general practice services both in and out of hours (OOH)
- Enabling practices to manage their workload in order to deliver safe services and empower patients and carers as partners in care
- The retention of a national core contract for general practice that provides a high-quality service for patients
- Premises, IT infrastructure and administrative support to enable the delivery of quality care
More details can be found here.